Welcome Medicare Nation!
Today, I want to tell you about the federal government program called The Extra Help program, also called Limited Income Subsidy (LIS). If you never heard of this program, you may be missing out on some additional subsidies for your prescription drug purchases. So let’s walk through the program to see if you qualify.
Qualifications for the Program:
1. Must be a resident of one of the 50 states in America
2. Your resources (savings, stocks, bonds, 401k etc.) cannot exceed $13,640 (married $27,250)
3. Your annual income cannot be more than $17,820/yr (married $24,030)
4. If you support someone else who resides with you (not your spouse), you may qualify for a higher threshold
How to Apply for Extra Help:
The easiest route is to apply through Social Security
1. Apply online: www.ssa.gov - click benefits and then apply for extra help
2. Call Social Security directly at 800-772-1213
3. Go to your local Social Security office - find locations at www.ssa.gov
You have to re-qualify every year. Social Security will send you a letter and determine your eligibility for the next year around August.
You can get an overview of the Extra Help program by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and ask for the Extra Help pamphlet.
You can call me with questions at 855-855-7266.
Do you have questions or feedback? I’d love to hear it!
I may answer one of your questions on the air!
Thank you for listening! If you enjoyed this podcast, please subscribe and leave a 5 star rating and review in iTunes! (Click here)
Find out more information about Medicare on Diane Daniel’s website!